Friday, July 3, 2015

Threat Detected!
by Linda Patton~July 3, 2015

Today has kept me busy. Outside of homework, I have only checked on my chickens a few times. I had to put one hen in chicken jail because she refused to let the 6 others go to roost. Oh my goodness! They are three times larger than she is. She earned herself a night alone.

While finishing up essay responses, I noticed that my tiny little grandpuppy would not stop barking. Ziggy, the puppy, requires constant attention to keep him from tormenting the world. He will grow out of it-we hope! The barking continued, laced with uncontrollable giggles from each member of the family. I finally stopped to see what could possibly be such a threat.

Laying silently on the kitchen table was the culprit. The loud, high pitched barking alerted us of the danger to which engaged him in an ultimate stare-down. What should we do? How would we survive this threat; this large round green threat?  This WATERMELON!

My laughter melted in with the rest, as my daughter insisted I bring it toward him. I gently picked it up and headed for the chair. He immediately jumped to his feet, still not breaking eye contact with the large, round watermelon that has been sitting on the counter for 4 days now awaiting the purpose for which it was created…the celebration of our Independence.

The worst was happening, it crept closer to him. He jumped off the chair and under my husband’s feet, still barking ferociously. This poor dog. We have yet to find anything that makes him afraid. He will fight with our giant German Shepherd/Mastiff dog and never flinch. But he is afraid of a watermelon?


His fears will be put to rest tomorrow as my daughter holds him tightly in the kitchen, probably still barking, still engaged in the stare-off,  as I neutralize the threat by slicing a knife through it, revealing its dark red center.  I wonder how he will take it when we put a piece in his doggie bowl?

No comments:

Post a Comment