Thursday, July 9, 2015

BEST DREAM EVER!

By Linda Patton~July 9, 2015

To fulfill the writing prompt I received today, I am going to tell you about one wonderful, glorious night, when a dream entered into my sleeping mind, never to leave again. It haunts me to this day.

            My husband hired a sitter and took me to a very nice restaurant for an exquisite meal. The wait staff took very good care of us, making every effort to make the evening perfect. It had been so long since we went anywhere without our two young children. 

           As they cleared the last of the dinner dishes, a nice young man pushed a cart up to our table. “And now for the best part.” My eyes turned to the cart which held the most beautiful creations I had ever seen. Three shelves full of cakes, pies, and desserts of all kinds, no doubt made to perfection and decorated with sheer beauty. However, I cannot tell you what the tray actually held, because peeking out in the middle stood the most amazing piece of cheesecake I have ever seen, drizzled ever so lightly with a sauce made out of a variety of berries, and topped with perfect curls of white chocolate.

            That piece of cheesecake would complete a perfect evening. Really good cheesecake is my biggest weakness, one I rarely allow myself to indulge in. Tonight was special. Tonight I would throw all caution to the wind, and eat the cheesecake. My husband spoke up, “She will have the cheesecake,” but was interrupted by the waiter. “Yes sir,” and he looked at me. “But you cannot have the cheesecake until you have eaten every other dessert on this cart.”

            I laughed, but I could tell he meant it. I looked at it again. Never had such a delicacy tempted me like this perfectly baked, creamy cheesecake with strategically placed berries on top, sauce drizzling down the sides so that every bite contained a perfect blend of flavors. “Why not!” I said.

            Piece after piece, they sat each one in front of me. I ate every bite with determination, I would have that cheesecake.  Even in my dream I felt sick, Finally, the cart was empty, and there… alone…stood my precious cheesecake. The waiter reached to pick it up. He placed it in front of me on the table, where all evidence of any prior desserts had vanished. I picked up the fork and watched with delight as it cut out the first bite, I lifted it to my lips, opened my mouth, and “LINDA?” my husband said as he shook me awake.

            NOOOOOO! This could not be happening. “It’s time to get up,” he continued. I repeated, aloud this time “No!” All that effort wasted. I must go back to sleep. I must! And boy did I try. I tried all day. In the years that have past, I have often tried to put myself back in that moment, but never have I succeeded. Never have I tasted that delectable, fantasy cheesecake.


            So while this dream is one that I actually experienced, I will always wish to have that one more moment of sleep. 

2 comments:

  1. What torture to be woken up right before you got to your cheesecake. Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. I hope you have that dream again and make it to your cheesecake Linda. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What torture to be woken up right before you got to your cheesecake. Cheesecake is one of my favorite desserts. I hope you have that dream again and make it to your cheesecake Linda. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete