Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Secret Life of Aunt Linda
By Linda PattonJuly 1, 2015

I had a funny blog planned for tonight, but under the circumstances, I’m going to switch it up and just do some freewriting as I watch to see just exactly how close this tornado warning is going to come to where we live.

My nieces and nephew ended up at my house for an unplanned, last minute slumber party due to an unfortunate trip to the emergency room for their mom and dad. Everything will be fine, just a few stitches.

I knew it was supposed to rain, and I was dreading more water. So much water! My dread quickly turned the corner to worry, as the tornado warnings started rolling off the television screen.  So my freewriting time will now be spent secretly preparing for the storm that is to come. The littlest one is asleep, and thank goodness for DVR and the Disney channel. That is keeping the older two occupied so that they don’t notice what I’m doing.

·         Phase one-Chicken check. All the hatches are battened down there. If we exceed 5 inches of rain before morning, I’ll be waddling out there and moving a mother hen and her chicks to higher ground. Everyone else is up off the floor. I would do it now, but the babies are too small to fly and I am afraid they will jump down and get injured. She lost one two days ago, and I have no idea why, so I’m not taking any chances.

·         Phase two-all dogs inside. Check. So many dogs!

·         Phase three- Inform my older children and check for close by shoes and flashlights. Check.

·         Phase four-make sure that the younger children have flashlights and shoes close to them, without alarming them in any way. Check. I can’t believe I pulled that off. Again, I must say, thank goodness for Disney channel.

·         Final phase- Tuck everyone in and gather  my own personal flashlight, shoes, and English homework. Check!


Time to get in the boat. Thanks for listening. Safe wishes to everyone tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment