Sunday, July 12, 2015

Begging For Breakfast

by Linda Patton~ July 12, 2015

I suppose with any pet the owner develops a certain dialogue. Chickens are no different. The amount of communication possible with your flock directly relates to how you treat them. At our house, each chicken receives individual attention, along with a handpicked name relating specifically to her personality. To be honest, I spoil them rotten. They eat out of my hand, sit on my shoulder, and stand at the gate saying, “Wawk! Wawk! Wawk!” when they want to go for a walk with me.

I have had five people send me pictures of chicken harnesses. I always respond the same, “Who needs a harness? My girls follow me everywhere.” And they do. When I walk out the door, they come running, and will follow me all throughout the woods. They don’t even need treats to enjoy the walk They enjoy the adventure of searching through the woods finding whatever bugs and other delicacies await them.  I will admit the chicken stroller photo that someone sent me the other day is tempting. I have wondered about taking my girls to the park, or a parade. I think they would love it. Lacy, a beautiful, large, gold-laced Cochin hen, sat on my mother’s lap in the front seat of the car all the way to town. She watched the world pass by with great wonderment. She was on an adventure and she intended to enjoy every second. When we tried to get her to lay down, she would inform us that she intended to see the world and she couldn’t do that laying down.

This morning, I let the girls and all 19 babies out as usual. I put hen scratch in a variety of places for them to find, I filled their outside feeders, filled their water, and talked to them as I do first thing every day. Chloe came waddling up to me with her two little babies peeping close behind her. She hopped up on a board, looked up at me, and made some chicken noises. Once positive that she had my full attention, she looked me in the eyes, took her beak and very…slowly…drug it back and forth across the ground. I knew what that meant. When they rub their beaks on the ground it means “Would you please bring us some of that sloppy stuff that gets all over our beaks?”

Yes, I most certainly do fix my chickens breakfast. Not every day, but occasionally, at times more often than others. However, they never tell me slowly like she did. I am pretty sure she was saying it as though she feared I might not understand, and she really wanted some porridge. I have refrained from giving them any in the last couple of weeks, due to the unexplained deaths of two little ones. I am almost positive that they choked and I’m not taking any chances. Who could resist that begging? Not me! I rushed inside and cooked them some oatmeal and scrambled eggs. It will take a while to cool, then I will go put it in all of their little chicken dishes and make certain that everyone gets some. In the heat of the afternoon, I will treat them with the frozen watermelon pieces that I have in the freezer. That will keep them cool, and give them something fun to do. When they are all done eating, they will come up next to me and sing. Chicken singing is so amazing.


Yes, I spoil them rotten. Yes, I take a lot of time with them. No they don’t have to have that much attention, but I can’t imagine my life without them.  

2 comments:

  1. Linda,
    Your chickens sound amazing! I think it would be so neat to have chickens. I like how you give them so much attention. I hope to have chickens someday and to be able to spoil them like that. I have 2 backyard bunnies and I love to feed them apples. They are so funny, one of them grunts like a pig. She makes us laugh every time.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how sweet. I hope to get bunnies soon. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete