Wednesday, June 24, 2015



      It's a beautiful day! June 24, 2015

Hello Again World, 

      Our assignment in English 101 was to create a blog/journal each day. Another assignment is to state my credo. I will be spending my journal time over the next few days to discover more about who I am, according to the "This I Believe" journal entry previously posted, so that I might complete a credo for myself. 

     As I woke today, I thought about what my focus should be. I think more clearly in the mornings, and most of my important "thinking" happens during the first hour that I am awake. This morning, I decided to look into my "This I Believe" statements. 

     I read through them with the intentions of picking two or three that were related to the topic that is on my mind. To my surprise, most of them had to do with this topic in one way or another. I would like to explore that for a few moments. 

     I love to learn. It is my personal belief that I want to learn something new every day of my life, and I hope that I learn something on the very day that I leave this world. I believe that we are continually growing and continually learning. 

     By reading the "This I Believe" statements, I understood that it's more than just learning. I love to watch things grow. There is nothing like watching a seed sprout. It mesmerizes me to see the seed pop open and the curved stem appear, capped with what will soon be a leaf. I love watching each stage as it becomes the adult plant that very seed was intended to become. 

     I learn so much from watching animals grow. They have more feeling than plants. Each species has its own community need, social needs, and physical needs; as well as its own individual needs. I have some hens who enjoy being held, and others who do not. Hannah is one of my Momma hens. Her babies are three and a half weeks old. Yesterday, she ran up to me and begged to be picked up. Hens have a unique way of asking. Every time I went outside, she needed a hug. It was as if she were saying, "Ok, Mom, I am all grown up, but do you still love me? I need a minute just to be your baby." 
    
     This is Hannah's first brood and she has been the most amazing mother we have had yet. Still, she wanted my affection. 

     Oh but there is so much more. Beyond animals and plants, there is no greater privilege than to watch a child grow. To see it learn. Whether it be a baby learning to hold a toy for the first time, a toddler learning to run, a preschooler writing their name, a high school student overcoming an obstacle, or even an adult who is learning something new; I am deeply fascinated and find myself feeling fulfilled to be a part of it. 

To sum it up, I would like to live each day as if it were both my first and last. Similar to the Circle of Life, I think of myself in a wheel. The wheel of knowledge, each day I learn something new, and each day I pass on something that is new to someone else. What is important is not what we know, but what we are willing to learn.

     After coming to that conclusion, and studying it out, I found a quote from Mary Catherine Bateson “We are not what we know, but what we are willing to learn.” I am anxious to study more about what she has to say as an author. (Goodreads)



Works Cited


Goodreads. 2015. Web. 24 June 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment