Saturday, June 27, 2015

Friends
by Linda Patton

Today I am reminded of what friends mean to me. I have been given a multitude of friends, as well as a handful of what I would call “close friends.”

Close friends are people who are in no way related to me by blood, yet our paths have crossed and we have formed a bond that has lasted for years. We each have families, spouses, kids, careers, and other responsibilities, still we have found a place in our hearts for the other.  We have laughed together & cried together, been through hard times together, enjoyed each other’s successes, and lent a hand-or just an ear- when we thought the other was about to fail. We pray for each other, carry each other’s burdens, and stick up for each other. However, we are not afraid to give each other a good hard slap when needed. We encourage each other and lean on each other as the occasion arises.

Beyond my “close friends,” I have friends who are there because have common interests and duties that put us together. On occasion we call each other for an opinion, or some small reason.  I can honestly say that I have the most amazing friends. Today, as we were working a fundraising event and one after another came up to encourage me on the direction that I have chosen to go. They didn’t have to do that. They were so kind and loving. I am so thankful for them.

We went on to testify to each other and encourage each other in our walks of life as well as in the Lord. As I looked around I could see the strengths they possessed. There were husband and wife mentors, incredibly strong single mothers giving their all to their children. There were caring people requesting prayer for those less fortunate. On many occasions, I have known one of these women to get on the phone and social media and put out a cry for help for people who had lost their homes to fire, had car accidents, or had an extreme illness or need.  These people seem to barely have time to breathe, yet they will drop all and run at the mere mention of someone in need.

We left the event exhausted. Each of us going to whatever responsibility we were facing next. For some, it was getting ready for surgery, while for others it was trying to get everything done that had not been finished this week, so that tomorrow, they can try to get ahead on the week to come.  Even still there were those of us rushing from baby showers, to weddings, to whatever performance or sport our children, wives, or husbands were participating in today. Nevertheless, we all left feeling encouraged and happy. It’s a marvelous blessing to have such people in my life.

       Throughout my years, I have been blessed to find such wonderful people in my journey. I have learned that we need each other.  Encouraging words, simple acts of kindness, and willingness to love as well as forgive, seem to be a source of power. These acts have the ability to change the world. So I think for my credo, I will have to go with-LOVE NEVER FAILS-love is patient, love is kind, love is not proud, love is not boastful, love bears all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment