Sunday, June 14, 2015

Assignment 2.4 Jung Typology Reflection

Today’s assignment is to post a reflection comparing and contrasting my results from the Jung Typology Test. (http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm) Also known as the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator – MBTIÒ
The MBTIÒ is a personality test used to help people identify their preferences and learn about their strengths and weaknesses. The assignment is to explore how knowing more about who you are will or will not help as a writer.  
Now that you have some background, let’s jump in.  The MBTIÒ uses 4 groups, called dichotomies, which recognize preferences of the tester, and put them into a “TYPE”. That Type is then used to summarize different personalities.
I believe that learning about oneself is imperative to growth as a writer.  I found the MBTIÒ to be extremely accurate according to what I have come to know about myself.  Due to the level of accuracy, I chose to investigate further into some of the indications that I had not previously noticed.  Taking into account the percentages, I would have to say that I mostly agreed with the MBTIÒ findings. I was rather amazed that it could peg me so closely.
Keeping that in mind, I read through the overview again; this time taking notes. I could not honestly find much to contrast, only some things to ponder. So I would like to share some of comparisons that I have, as well as some of the things that I would like to learn from it.
My Indication Group was ENFJ.
The MBTIÒ Overview says “ENFJs are generally outgoing, enthusiastic, warm, empathetic, and supportive. They typically get their energy from being around people and enjoy social situations and building individual relationships.” I absolutely love being in social situations. In fact, my son told me recently, “Mom, I don’t think you are ever really happy, unless you are around people.” I thought for a few minutes, and agreed. I return home from every social function I attend feeling excited and energized. Too much time alone and I succumb to boredom and depression.
How will the knowledge of this assignment help me as a writer? The first bullet listed in the Overview is that ENFJs “generate numerous ideas.” I often have so many ideas that I find it hard to pick. This creates difficulties staying focused and writing in the original direction. I spend a lot of time editing;  bringing us to another bullet point in the Overview- The ENFJs will “benefit from revising work to be more objective and incorporate a greater use of logic. “
Another point I found fascinating was “ENJFs will often need to monitor the amount that they use “I”.”  Only a short time before I read that point, I was responding to a classmate on one of our Discussion Boards. I noticed that I was using the word “I” too much. I need to think further outside the box that I have put myself into.  I took a moment to think how I would like to learn to be more open in my writing and write from different perspectives.
What I took from the MBTIÒ was that I need to focus on “feeling” less and learn to write from a slightly more logical perspective. I also was relieved to learn that I don’t have to feel guilty for the numerous times this weekend that I have told an a assortment of friends and family how I cannot postpone my assignments to play with them, help them with a project that is not imperative, or many other requests they have brought to me.  This is very difficult for them as well. We are all used to me being there for them at the drop of a hat.
Once again I find the MBTIÒ Overview eye-opening and spot on when it indicates that “The ENFJ focuses on helping and assisting others but should be cautious not to neglect their own needs.”  This is the area that I find most detrimental in my life. I constantly put the wants of others ahead of my personal needs. This is something I am going to work on in every area of my life, not just writing.

In summary, I believe that I have benefitted greatly from this assignment and look forward to putting the information to use in the future and throughout my college days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment